Sometimes she consoles herself about how one day everyone will accept her as she is from inside. They judge her from head to toe as if her kind behavior, her talents, her thoughts, her dreams, her willpower – nothing else matter for them except her external looks. If you think only obese people suffers depression because of all the judgments of this so called society, then take a look at these personal experiences straight from the diary of a skinny girl.
1. “It must be because of the screwed-up eating pattern” – They say, a skinny person is skinny because he/she refuses to manage a healthy diet throughout the day but trust me, this isn’t the case with everyone. What some people around do not understand is different humans have different body structure. We all are born with different body structures and that is how it works. We cannot always change how our body functions. Skinny people have the genetics which give them a quick metabolism. When a person is gaining fat, he/she is said to have a bad metabolism function. For example, when a skinny person eats as much as obese person, his/her body would not show much difference but when a substantial person eats in a small quantity, his/her body begins to react hastily and hence they gain fats faster than others. It’s not like I have a serious disorder regarding food intake, but I can only eat as much as my body wants to accept.
P.s. – I do feel hungry therefore, I do eat just like any other normal person.
2. “Scraggy bodies are for modelling purpose only” – wrong, wrong, wrong. Some of them starve till they pass out and that, is not ‘skinny’ but utter idiocy. “Clothes look better on tall & skinny girls” is one horrible norm of fashion industry. Though the time is changing now, and many brands are hiring overweight girls; there is a long way to go when many parts of the fashion & entertainment wouldn’t be biased – where every woman – whether skinny or overweight would get equal opportunity and acceptance.
3. “Lean people can wear anything they want to” – When you are lean AND tall, you cannot just go to the store & find a well fitting shirt or jeans. Only a skinny person can understand this awful struggle. Being tall, S is too small for me & being thin, M is too baggy for me you know? There is nothing in between. It feels as if all these local & international brands have taken a pledge of never coming up with proper sizes of attire for people like us. When your friends are shopping in xyz brand store and you are just staring at those shelves filled with trendy clothes, ‘cause you know you cannot fit in them as of now, it is just an absolute disappointment with yourself.
4. “A skinny body is equals to unhealthy person” – As obvious as it may sound but it doesn’t get applied to every lean body structured person. I rarely fall sick (*touchwood*touchwood*). Maybe it’s my body which is too nice to have mercy on me or maybe the white blood cells inside me are truly great soldiers! But this is the only one side of the coin, a nightmare giggles on the other side telling me that you cannot win if you get into the physical fight with someone and that my friend, is an undeniable truth. The other day, one of my good friends punched on my shoulder with a minimal force and poof! My stupid bone got swollen leaving a blend of red-blue-green scar on that particular area. Having great hemoglobin percentage is not always enough to fight back – this truth is indisputable.
5. “You are lucky because you don’t have to face consequences which are generally faced by chubby folks” – Really? What about lean people like us? We do have to go through various issues like we cannot lift heavy weight objects, we cannot ride heavy vehicles, we cannot walk for long time, we cannot tolerate heavy cold or heavy temperature due to our thin skin. We struggle with weak bones & if we ever get injured, the pain is obviously more than those who have normal weight so; no we do not feel lucky at all when we have to bare all that physical pain.
6. “Carrying yourself must be as easy as ABC” – “Not really, darling!” I do not even remember when was the last time I stepped out of the house without looking in the mirror thrice. It is hard to go throughout the day specially when your profession requires communication with different kinds of people. Showing confidence on face even when you are feeling extremely exhausted from inside, is no joke. Being skinny is in some people’s genetics but making excuses isn’t. So what you were born that way? We all are in the same race with equal rules.
So the next time anyone looks at you from head to toe and call you a ‘skeleton’ or even a ‘round’, show them the best curve you could ever wear – your smile. Has it been written anywhere in golden words that a woman should look like an hourglass and a man, like hulk? Your dress size is not more important than the size of your zest. There is nothing wrong with your body but so much wrong with those minds which make fun of it for the sake of self-entertainment. Be comfortable in your own skin and love yourself inside-out for who you really are. Whether you are size 0 or size 18, never ever starve yourself – intake healthy food and breathe positivity ‘cause that’s how your mirror would fall in love with you every single day.
‘Pole’ in school,
‘Skeleton’ in college and
‘Matchstick’ at workplace;
body shamming lived with her
from the time she didn’t even know its meaning.
Visible bones, thigh gaps
Flat chest or not so toned butt,
She wasn’t born to look sexy in your parties;
her soul was meant to suit-up for the meetings
to build grand opportunities for herself –
so that the world which tries to mock her
shall feel ashamed of their slender minds
instead of leaving her body in disguise.