The countdown is on. Just 10 days left until we all must say good-bye to 2016. I can’t believe a year went by so fast. I made a lot of predictions about how 2016 would be but 80% of them did not come true. Was it disheartening for me? Of course yes! Am I still upset? Definitely not. However bad it all may seem, I learned a lot of eye opening lessons out of everything that happened. We all presume about every little thing inside our onliest head, but that’s what makes a human, a human.
So, I failed terribly in many things which I tried to do throughout the year. Perhaps, I did not try enough. But it was really important for me to get the knack of certain matters. Failure, achievement, love, hurt, misery, amusements, anger, disappointments, joyousness, dumbfoundedness, curiosities, realizations, blessings, surprises, and what not!
For me, this year has been a pretty wild ride. Taking some references from my personal diary, here I am sharing 16 lessons that I learned in 2016:
1. Wake up early – The poblem with today’s generation is, we often whine about not having an enough time to do something. When you prioritize things, it gets easier for you to feel accomplished. If you want to make time for something, then put it on the top of your ‘things to do’ list. Forget everything else & just do it. And yes, Waking up early saves most of your time throughout the day. When you start early, you finish it as early as you can and the rest of the time is yours. One more benefit of waking up with the sun is that
we feel fresh, stress free, & active throughout the day. Try it, it works!
2. Pay less attention to social media – For me, the year 2015 & the first six-seven months of 2016 were all about being on social media. Scrolling through Facebook feed, liking & commenting on Instagram, posting as many tweets as I can using hash tags of trending topics, and uploading pictures on pinterest. We don’t realize the time we spend once we get into the trap of fascinating virtual world. Once we enter into it, it is hard to exit. And then we do not even think about how cool it’d actually be to go & ‘talk’ with the friend/relative with whom you were chatting for hours or how amazing it would be if you would have gone out in fresh air & click some pictures of nature & objects on your own? I am not saying you shouldn’t do this at all but talking from my personal experience, When I caught myself being completely trapped in the web of virtual world, I discerned that I have been doing it wrong all this time!
3. Happiness is the key – If you are not happy with yourself, you cannot be happy with anyone or anything. Whether it is about your career path or your relation with someone. If you are not content with your 9-6 work, then get the hell out of it. Have enough guts to start something on your own. And about relations (be it a love relation, your relationship with your family, or your friend), they are too delicate to handle with all the frustrations & forced expectations. Communicate, understand, Work it out together. If you are mature enough to know what is a ‘relation’, you must be mature enough to identify the fact that not everyone is replaceable. Having someone with you through rain & shine is the icing on the cake but hey, it is you who are responsible for the cake!
4. A hobby a day keeps negativity away – when we have a free time, we think way too much about current circumstances of our life. Our stupid human mind has an massive capability of turning a small hitch into a big one. 90% of the time we bother about things which are not going to be true at all. Even if you aren’t employed or do not have stable business yet, there are many other ways to keep yourself engaged throughout the day. Immerse yourself in your favorite hobby. Join classes & courses. I discovered my passion for photography just few months back & here I have created my own page on Instagram where I have been uploading some of my clicks: http://www.instagram.com/selcouth_universe
5. Winning isn’t everything, trying is – I did not win at many things throughout the year. You don’t always win! Life is smarter than you will ever be. It won’t give you anything easily. Falling, getting up, trying over & over again is what going to make you the person you will be at the end of your journey.
6. Hanging out with positive people matters a lot – Be with people that accepts you the way you are. Knowingly or unknowingly, they lift up your spirit. Stay away from negative people or negative thoughts. They won’t add any value to your day. If you really want to change your life, you have to change the people you hang around with.
7. Healthy body is a healthy mind – I was horribly dependent on medications for months. I was so addicted to medicines that I used to think I cannot survive without them. As my food intake was extremely low, they screwd up my entire body from inside & outside.
Healthy food works as a fuel to your body. Fresh fruits, vegetables, Keeps your body hydrated, and exercise helps in preventing illness.
8. Your gut is always right – Always, always, always listen to your gut. Whenever I have gone against my intuition, it’s been a disaster. Listen to your gut, it’s always right.
9. Life is unpredictable. Never walk away mad from someone who you love – Throughout the year, I have seen my relatives/distinct relatives who were here at one moment & gone forever in the next. Forgive fast. Moreover, learn to accept the apology you haven’t even got. Not for them, but for yourself. This way you neither have to kill you happiness, nor have to regret about anything in upcoming days.
10. Some questions are better left unanswered – Understand the fact that not everything is meant to be understood!
11. If you want a loyal friend, get a dog (not even a cat!) – Sometimes, We humans tend to change our priorities way too easily. So look carefully, many of your friends aren’t loyal to you they are just loyal to their need of you. Once their need change, you may get replaced!
My bestest friends gave up on me for no reason. Well, right or wrong, they might be having their own reasons on which I had no right to question.
12. Don’t let little things get to you, indeed, the Kings & pawns has to live in the same box –
In the end, we are just a dust particle in hundreds of billions of galaxies out there. Love more, worry less, burn your ego and spread around smiles. Your behavior of today, comes back to you tomorrow!
13. Whenever in doubt, take elders advice –
Take your parents/guardians advice into consideration, not because they are always right, but because they have more experience in being wrong.
14. Curiosity is a bliss – If you do not know something then ask! It is as simple as that. We often feel shy to ask something to someone being in fear of they might belittle us. There is no shame in knowing right thing from the right person. You are never too old to know little more!
15. Judgements are dangerous – Do not judge people. Do not belive in rumors. Learn to respect and acknowledge the feelings of others. If you spend most of your time to judge them blindly, you will not have any time left to love them.
16. Slow down. Be gentle with yourself – Living in this modern society, people are always in hurry to achieve something. Everyone wants to be ahead in the race but we need to slow the heck down! We mess up everything that’s beautiful by taking it for granted. Close your eyes and breathe or just look around for one entire minute keeping everything aside(including your phone). Don’t stress over things you cannot change. Be glad that you tried. If it is meant to be happen, it will happen in the course of time.
So just turn around once & take a look, you will see that everything has changed over time. This crazy life makes little sense and the more we grow, the less sense it will make. Make the most of it now before it all changes once again. Maybe 2016 was not the best year of my life but I know eventually life as a puzzle, will finally find its broken pieces back. As we all are going to unfold the new chapter of 2017, we have a very blurry picture about where we are headed to.
But there’s one thing which will always stay constant as long as we alive and that is, the next page.
So just hold on when you feel like giving up already.
And if your books next page isn’t as nice as you expected it to be,
Then you just have to wait for another one.
’cause you know? you should not wait for ‘The End’.
You should always wait for a ‘Happy Ending!’